Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Best Valentines Day Ever!


I am blessed to be married to a wonderful and godly man, and I wanted to take a moment and post about what it means to really, really be loved on Valentines Day.

First, my husband loves God with all his heart, might, mind and soul. (Duet 6:4, Matthew 22:7, Mark 12:30, Luke 10:27)  He then loves his neighbor (me) like he does himself (next verse). Because he loves God and walks in a personal relationship with Him, he allows himself to be corrected by God, forgives my mistakes, and loves me in a better way then he could by himself. In fact, he loves because God first loved him (1 John 4:7-11, 18-20) and wouldn’t really know love, or how to love if it weren’t for God’s love.

My dear husband also tries to love me as Christ loves the Church. (Ephesians 5:25) This means that he loves me sacrificially, often giving up his time, his finances, and his desires for me. It means he loves me even when I’m unlovely (something I am from time to time).

He also gives honor to me (1 Peter 3:7), honoring and respecting my opinion, my feelings, and my desires. He shows this by doing things I like, by trying not to do things that I hate, and by daily showing me that he respects and trusts me.

He is patient. He is kind. He does not envy, does not boast and is not proud.  He does not dishonor me, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, and keeps no record of wrongs. He does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. He always protects me, always trusts me, always hopes in me, and always perseveres with me. (1 Cor. 13: 4-7)

Like the next girl I wouldn’t mind a dozen roses, and a box of chocolates for Valentines Day, and, a romantic get-a-way, or even an evening out sound pretty good too.  But, honestly, girls, wouldn’t you rather have a godly man, who is striving to live like God wants him to live? I sure would. Thanks Steve for being that man! You’re the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment